Privacy Policy

Information on the Privacy Policy used on the site.


A number of pages throughout this site invite users to complete forms including their personal details. There is no requirement to fill in these forms in order to view general material on this site. If you do wish to complete a form with your details in order to request a service or log a comment or complaint, you should note the following:

  • Secure Pages – Solihull Metropolitan Borough Council has a secure server facility to protect your details from third parties when you send them over the internet. Pages protected by this facility have a URL (web address) starting with https: rather than http: and a padlock or key image can be seen at the bottom of most modern browsers.
  • Non Secure Pages – Any pages that do not start with https: and do not have a padlock image at the bottom of the browser are not secure pages. Therefore, when using these pages you are strongly advised against emailing/providing any information which if disclosed to unrelated third parties would be likely to cause you distress. If you have an enquiry of this nature please provide a postal address to allow us to communicate with you in a more secure way. If you want us to respond by email you must realise that there can be no guarantee of privacy.
  • The information you provide will be used to help us deal with your enquiry. It may be shared with other Council services and partner organisations to ensure our records are kept accurate and to help us to identify services you may be entitled to or interested in.
  • Any email including its content may be monitored and used by Solihull Metropolitan Borough Council for reasons of security and for monitoring internal compliance with Council policy. This includes the content of emails and attachments. For instance inappropriate or offensive content would be blocked. Please be aware that you have a responsibility to ensure that any email you write or forward is within the bounds of the law. The contents of any e-mails to the Council may have to be disclosed to third parties under legislation such as the Data Protection Act 1998 or the Freedom of Information Act 2000.
  • If you are using a public computer and do not wish others to be able to go back to view the details you have typed into a form on the web it is advisable to clear the contents of the form and your cache (temporary internet files) before leaving the computer.

Virus protection

We make every effort to check and test the material on our site. However, it is always wise to run an anti-virus program on all material downloaded from the Internet. The Council cannot accept any responsibility or liability for any loss, disruption or damage to your data or to your computer system, which may occur as a result of using material from our site.


What are cookies?

Cookies are small text files located in browser directories. When you visit a site that uses cookies for the first time, a cookie is downloaded onto your PC. The next time you visit that site, your PC checks to see if it has a relevant cookie and sends the information contained in that cookie back to the site. The site then ‘knows’ that you have been there before, and in some cases, tailors what pops up on screen to take account of that fact.

Are they good or bad?

They are beneficial because they can record preferences and store data (e.g. what’s in your online shopping cart). They can make sites easier to navigate and create a more personal browsing experience. The negative aspect of cookies is that information about you is collected and stored by a website and might be used be used to market services to you or shared with a third party who may wish to do the same.

There are two types of cookies that can be set, session cookies and persistent cookies:

  • session cookies are set for a small amount of time, usually while your browser is open, and get deleted when you close your browser
  • persistent cookies are stored on your computer for a longer period of time and can store things like login details, website preferences and information about what you were looking at

Instructions for blocking cookies using browser settings:

The following websites provide browser specific instructions on blocking cookies:


Solihull MBC uses the Council Advertising Network (CAN) to deliver advertising across its website. CAN sources socially responsible digital advertising as an exclusive partner to local authorities.

Information about the website

This site has been put together by Solihull Metropolitan Borough Council (Solihull MBC).

The aim of the site is to: 

  • promote the borough, the Council and its services.
  • facilitate access to Council services.
  • provide information to residents, users of Council Services, businesses and the general public. 

Principal activity: Local Government

Organisation Name: Solihull Metropolitan Borough Council

Address: Council House, Manor Square, Solihull, B91 3QB

County: West Midlands

Country: England

  • Contact the Web Team   
  • Copyright and License
    Unless otherwise stated, Solihull Metropolitan Borough Council (the Council) owns the copyright in all information on this site. 
  • Disclaimer notice
    Great care has been taken in the creation of this website and attempts made to present and maintain accurate and up-to-date information, however inaccuracies may occasionally occur.
  • Privacy
    Information on the Privacy Policy used on the site.
  • Website statistics
    Website usage and performance 


Great care has been taken in the creation of this website and attempts made to present and maintain accurate and up-to-date information, however inaccuracies may occasionally occur.

Solihull Metropolitan Borough Council (the Council) will not be held responsible for any loss, damage or inconvenience caused as a result of any inaccuracy or error within its website pages. If you discover any information on our pages that you believe to be inaccurate or inappropriate, please let us know emailing

The links on our website

This website contains links to other websites, both those of government departments and of other organisations. This disclaimer and our privacy statement only applies to our website, so you should always read the privacy statement and disclaimer of any other websites visited.

We have no control over and shall not be responsible for the content of such linked websites. These links are provided for your convenience and do not imply that the Council endorses or supports those organisations, the information on their pages, or their products or services in any way.

Any purchase of goods and services made through third parties’ websites shall be subject to those third parties’ terms and conditions.

Purchasing of goods or services

You may find that we may advertise or promote goods and services. Your offer to purchase or acquire such goods or services shall be subject to the relevant term and conditions.

Any and all descriptions and representations made in relation to third parties’ goods and services on the Council’s website have been provided based on information and materials supplied by the respective third parties or on an “as-is” basis. We may have not tested nor used such goods or services and all purchases or dealings carried out with such third parties are at your own risk and we have no responsibility or liability for any loss or damage that you suffer as a consequence thereof.

Data Protection

Solihull Council is committed to respecting your privacy. We have structured our website so that, in general, you can visit it without identifying yourself or revealing any personal information. Once you choose to provide us with any information by which you can be identified, then you can be assured that it will only be used for stated purposes which will be made clear to you when you are asked to submit information.

We have to notify the Information Commissioner of the types of personal information we process and for what purpose we use it for and whom we share it with. You can see what is recorded on our Data Protection Notification entry if you search for Solihull Metropolitan Borough Council on the Information Commissioner’s web site.

Solihull Council uses and shares your personal information in order to enable it to identify, plan, deliver and monitor services that it provides to you and the community as a whole.

The Data Protection Act 1998 sets out a series of rules which the Council must keep to when it uses your personal information, namely:-

  1. it shall be used fairly and lawfully
  2. it shall be obtained for one or more specified and lawful purpose and not used in a way that is not compatible with those specified purpose(s)
  3. it shall be adequate, relevant and not excessive for the purpose that it was obtained
  4. it shall be accurate and where necessary kept up to date
  5. it shall not be kept for longer than is necessary
  6. it shall be used in accordance with the individual’s rights
  7. it shall be kept securely
  8. it shall not be transferred to a country which does not have adequate protection for the rights of the individual

Your Rights

The Data Protection Act 1998 gives individuals a number of rights, namely:-

  1. to find out what information is held about them
  2. to be informed what information is held, what it is used for and to whom it may be disclosed
  3. to be given a copy of the information
  4. to be given an explanation of any codes used or the logic involved in any automatic decision making processes
  5. to have inaccurate information corrected or destroyed
  6. to prevent further use of personal information if it causes, or is likely to cause, substantial damage or distress
  7. to seek compensation for any damage and distress caused by the use of inaccurate information
  8. to prevent use of their personal data for direct marketing

Accessing Your Information

The Data Protection Act 1998 (the Act) gives individuals the right to request, and in most cases to be given, a copy of the information which the Council holds about them. Please note that the Act only entitles an individual to see, or be given a copy of, their own information. You are not entitled to see someone else’s information unless they have given their permission for you to do so. Likewise, someone else can not ask for your information unless you have given permission for them to do so. This applies to spouses, relatives, friends etc.

Under this legislation, we are required to confirm the identity of the requester, to ensure that we only disclose personal information to those who have a legal right to receive it. Therefore, before we can process your request we need to see proof of identification. Please be aware that we will need to see one document from each list.

A clear full colour copy of one document from each of the lists below should be provided (unless an original is specified)

Identity Documents List 1:

  • Current passport
  • Current full driving licence
  • Birth certificate (original certified)
  • Adoption certificate (original certified)
  • Marriage certificate (original certified)
  • NHS Medical Card

Identity Documents List 2:

  • Gas, Electricity or Water Bill (dated within last 6 months for your current address)
  • Fixed Line Telephone Bill (dated within last 6 months for your current address)
  • Council Tax Statement/Payment Book (dated for current year)
  • Current bank, building society  or credit card statement (showing your current address)

NOTE: We cannot accept provisional driving licences or mobile phone bills as identification.

If you want to see or be given a small amount of your own information, for example, a copy of a form that you have recently sent to the Council, you should contact the service area concerned directly. You may be asked to provide proof of identity before being given the information.

If you want to see, or be given, a full copy of your record(s) you will need to make your request in writing. Your request must include enough information about yourself and the information that you are seeking to enable the Council to identify you and your record(s).

You can download an access to records form or call the Corporate Information Governance Team on 0121 704 6251 to request a copy.

All written requests for access to records should be addressed to:

The Corporate Information Governance Team
Corporate Performance, Policy and Information
Solihull Council
Council House
Manor Square
B91 3QB

Frequently Asked Questions

If I want my records, what details does the Council need?

  • we will need as much information as possible to enable us to identify you and the record(s) that you are seeking. Please look at the guidance notes and request form that we have produced

If I only want a certain part of my record can I have just that?

  • yes. If you tell us what part of your record you want, for example a specific document or information on your record between certain dates, we will give you a copy of just that

Will I have to pay for a copy of my records?

  • if you are applying for a copy of your record(s) held by the Council you will not be charged for this service
  • if you apply for a copy of your record(s) from any other organisation, for example a school, you may be charged a fee for the service

Can I see or have someone else’s record(s)?

  • no. The Act only entitles you to access your own information – this also means that no one else can access your information. This applies to spouses, relatives and friends etc. There are, however, special rules that apply to a parent seeking access to their young children’s information
  • sometimes a person may not be able to make the request for themselves, and may ask someone else to act on their behalf. Before the Council will process a request from a ‘representative’, it will require proof that the person whose information is being sought has given their permission for the representative to act on their behalf

Will I be given everything?

  • yes, normally the Council will give you a complete copy of the information (paper and electronic records) which you have requested. However, there are a few situations where the Council may not be able to provide you with all, or some, of the information that you are requesting, for example:
    • if your record contains information that identifies someone other than yourself, or an employee/agent of the Council (third party), we may need to get permission from that person before it can disclose the information to you
    • if your record contains information that was provided by a person other than yourself, or an employee/agent of the Council (third party), we may need to get permission from the provider of the information before it can be disclosed to you
    • the Council can also refuse to give you the information that you are requesting if in doing so it may prevent the detection of a crime

How long will it take to get my records?

  • the Act requires the Council to give you a copy of your information within 40 calendar days of receiving your request
  • if you apply to another organisation for access to your records they may have different timescales in which to give you the information, for example a school has 15 school days to provide the information

How will you get the information to me?

  • this will depend upon the nature of the information. Normally we will give you a choice. We can, depending upon the size of the information:
    • send it to you by encrypted email,
    • or post the information to you by Special Delivery Service, 
    • or arrange for you to collect it from one of our offices. 
    • important – please be aware that if you wish us to post the information to you, we will take every care to ensure that it is addressed correctly. However, we can not be held liable if the information is lost in the post or incorrectly delivered or opened by someone else in your household. Loss or incorrect delivery may cause you embarrassment or harm if the information is ‘sensitive’

What if I want information about the Council that is not personal information?

  • requests for all other types of information, which is not personal information, is dealt with under the provision of the Freedom of Information Act 2000

What if you are not happy?

If you feel that the Council has acted unreasonably when dealing with your request for access to records, or you have identified any errors in your record(s), please write to:

The Corporate Information Governance Manager
Corporate Performance, Policy and Information
Solihull Council
Council House
Manor Square
B91 3QB

and tell us of your concerns. Your concerns will be investigated and you will be notified of the outcome within 10 working days of receiving your letter of concern.

If you are still not happy with the outcome, you may refer the matter to the office of the Information Commissioner.

Further information on your rights

Because of limited space we are only able to give you very basic information about the Data Protection Act 1998. If you would like to know more about this, or about how we deal with the records that we hold, please feel free to contact the Council’s Corporate Information Governance Team:

Telephone: 0121 704 6251

The Information Commissioner is the independent person who is responsible for enforcing the Data Protection Act. The Commissioner offers a range of publications about your rights, as well as advice and assistance.

Freedom of Information

Information about the Freedom of Information Act and the Publication Scheme.

What is Freedom of Information?

The Freedom of Information Act 2000 (FOI Act) gives individuals rights of access to recorded information held by public authorities. In response to a request the public authority must tell the applicant whether it holds the information, and must normally supply it within 20 working days.

These rights are subject to procedural and substantive limitations. The substantive limitations, or exemptions, ensure a proper balance is achieved between the right to know, the right to personal privacy and the delivery of effective government. For instance a public authority does not have to confirm or deny the existence of the information or provide it if an exemption applies, the request is vexatious or similar to a previous request, or if the cost of compliance exceeds an appropriate limit.

Of course individuals already have the right of access to personal information about themselves under the Data Protection Act 1998. As far as the Council and other public authorities are concerned, the Freedom of Information Act extends this right to allow public access to all types of recorded information held by public authorities such as the Council. Public authorities have two main responsibilities under the Act: to produce a ‘Publication Scheme’ (a guide to the information held which is publicly available) and dealing with individual requests for information.

How to make a Freedom of Information request

Anyone is able to make a request for information. The request must be in writing (for example an email or letter) and it must:

  • state the name of the applicant
  • an address for correspondence
  • description of the information sought

You can send your Freedom of Information request or any questions about Freedom of Information to:

The Corporate Information Governance Manager
Corporate Performance, Policy and Information
Manor Square
Council House
West Midlands
B91 3QB

Telephone: 0121 704 6251

Will there be a charge?

The Council is allowed to recover the costs of printing, copying and postage and package. You will only be asked to pay printing or photocopying costs if they are £5 or more. The costs will normally be calculated at 10 pence per sheet of paper and 20 pence for double sided printed paper, however there may be times when costs exceed this. If this is the case you will be notified and a reason provided.

What is a publication scheme?

A publication scheme is a description of the kinds of information that a public authority should make routinely available and the ways it makes information available.

Public authorities must adopt a publication scheme approved by the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). To make sure that there is consistency in the release of information, the ICO has developed a model publication scheme that any public authority can use. The publication scheme commits an authority to make information available as part of its normal business activities.

The Council has adopted the model scheme. This is our legal commitment to routinely make available the kinds of information which the ICO requires us to.

We are making the majority of information available free and through our website. Where we are unable to do so we have provided contact details that people can use to access the information, for example who to contact to arrange for information to be sent out to you or where to come and view the information.

The model scheme

The model scheme classifies information at a high level and broadly states the way authorities can provide information and what they can charge for.

The model specifies seven classes of information. To maximise the routine release of information the categories have been set at a high level. Most information that a public authority holds falls into the seven classes.

These are the 7 classes of information we must make available.

  1. Who we are and what we do
    Organisational information, structures, locations and contacts.
  2. What we spend and how we spend it
    Financial information about projected and actual income and expenditure, procurement, contracts and financial audit.
  3. What our priorities are and how we are doing
    Strategies and plans, performance indicators, audits, inspections and reviews.
  4. How we make decisions
    Decision-making processes and records of decisions.
  5. Our policies and procedures
    Current written protocols, policies and procedures for delivering our services and responsibilities.
  6. Lists and registers
    Information held in registers required by law and other lists and registers relating to the functions of the authority.
  7. Services provided by the Council
    Information about the services the Council provides including leaflets, guidance and newsletters.

Requesting information from the publication scheme

If you cannot find the information that you think should be made routinely available in the Publication Scheme or on our website, or details of how you can obtain the information, please contact us and explain what information you are seeking. The contact details are the same as for making Freedom of Information requests.